Wednesday, September 1, 2010

One Day In September...Day 1

Well here we are at Day 1.
I could have blogged about a number of September things.
The first day of Spring being one of them.
But usually with me it comes down to...
Food!

Cooking and baking are two of my passions.
Hanging out in the kitchen is one of my fave past-times.
I'm pretty happy reading cookbooks or Foodie Mags
 and discovering new recipes or techniques.

I was going to bake some shortbread last night.
I have an unwell relative and was baking it to take to them so they 
could have a piece with their cuppa in hospital.
Problem was I was exhausted.
I tweeted my predicament.
Several peeps seemed to have the answer.

Repackage!
Buy a packet!
Cello and gingham work wonders!
Dust them with icing sugar & rewrap them!

Mmmm.
Thats sounds like a plan.
Great!
I will settle in and watch those taped eps of Modern Family.
But then I felt guilty.

Do you know what I thought?
"What would Martha say?"
OMG what a complete tragic!
I quite happily make packet mix cakes all the time.
But I could not bring myself to buy shortbread and wrap it up.

Having said that, I should also let you know 
my shortbread recipe is pretty good.
Lots of butter and sugar.
Mmmm...yum!

I make this shortbread recipe at least once a week.
It came from one of those recipe books stuck to the front of a magazine.
I just bung it all in the food processor and zshoosh it a few times.
After 12 minutes in a slowish oven...
Voila!

So I got up early and made a batch before we headed out to school.

Here's the recipe.
Makes about 20

2 cups of plain flour
250 grams butter
2/3 cup of castor sugar
2 teaspoons of rice flour
Whizz in food processor until smooth.
Line trays with baking paper.
Preheat oven to 160 degrees cent.
Roll into balls and squish a bit.
Score with a fork if you like the authentic shortbread look.
Cook for about 12 minutes.
Check after this time as cooking time varies based on size of biscuits.
You may need a couple of minutes extra if they are big.




Hope you enjoy these yummy bikkies as much as my family do!

OK so that's Da1 done & dusted.
Now to think about Day 2, and 3 and 4.....

xx







1 comment:

Katie said...

Good Morning... I'm going to make your shortbread cookies today. They look yummy!!! I was wondering what Caster Sugar was? Is it just a brand? Also, good luck with the daily posting for 30 days!!! I don't know how people can be so organized to do that :) I am lucky to get 1 or 2 a week! I would love to do more but I am terribly slow. Especially, with pictures. Maybe, I should use that as an excuse to buy myself a new and fabulous computer :) XoXo